Ashley Reservoir, Holyoke, MA – The Wolfpack invited harriers from around the New England region to, what some would say is, The Original Den of the Wolfpack, Ashley Reservoir. Rain would soak the region into the late hours of the night before the event, but on the day of the 3rd Annual WMDP XC Festival the skies were Blue and Mother Nature was giving The Process its due Respect – IDEAL conditions.
The unattached David Wilson and Sam Alexander of the BAA were out for an early battle in the men’s competition. The chase Pack would include WMDP’s Sean Duncan, Jesse Regnier, Scott VanderMolen, and David Johnson. When the gentlemen rounded their second left through The Four Corners Wilson and Alexander were still sharing the driver seat, but when Billy Harbilas’ pace truck emerged from the woods at 4.5 miles it would only be Wilson in tow, eventually taking the overall 5-Mile title in 24:33. Alexander would cruise in for second in 25:00. Mark Reeder of Greater Lowell claimed victory in the Master’s competition with his 27:05.
The Men’s Wolfpack, led by your new Yellow Jersey holder, Sean “Big Meet” Duncan (4th – 25:06), was able to defend the home turf, holding off the Greater Boston Track Club for the team win. Big Meet was followed home by teammates Jesse Regnier (5th – 25:15), Scotty VanderMolen (6th – 25:21), David Johnson (7th -25:25), and Mathew Weissinger (11th – 25:43).
In the Women’s race Kerri Leondhart of the Greater Boston Track Club would take control early and run away with the title. Kerri was able to put close to a minute on the competition with her 28:33 win over WMDP’s Apryl Sabadosa (29:30). The ladies of the Greater Boston Track Club would go on to take the overall team title, putting five runners in the top ten. Trish Bourne of the Greater Boston Track Club would take the Female Master’s title in 32:39.
The Lady Wolves brought home a secone overall to GBTC. Sabadosa was followed in by teammates Ashley Krause (7th – 31:24), Lauren Ross (9th – 32:15), Maura McDonald (12th – 33:12), and Dawn Roberts (14th – 33:50).
The day wrapped up to the sounds of The Sun Dogs as the runners rehydrated at the Elks Club. With good vibes and great music the Wolfpack dished out all the donated swag from New Balance, RunReg.com, and the Northampton Running Company. And the Sisu Process started a war, but we will Finnish it.
To say that we are excited to have you all back next year would be a statement.
Feel free to send over your suggestions on how we can make The Festival better in years to come!
A Special Thanks goes out to the following groups and individuals:
– Coach Kristin Tetrault and the Southwick-Tolland High School Girls XC Team for all their volunteer work at registration and on the course
– Mackenzie Gray and Co. for the timing services
– Billy and Sally Harbilas for keeping the runners on course with their pacing services
– Manny and Alejandro for setting up the beautiful finish line
– The Holyoke Elks Club for allowing us to use their venue
– The Holyoke Water Works for giving us access to the gorgeous Ashley Reservoir
– All the USATF Clubs that came out to represent
– Brian Donoghue for coaching us as one of Western Mass’ premier race directors
– The Sun Dogs for setting the vibes in the afternoon (check these guys out!)
– RunReg.com for donated awards
– New Balance for donating a lot of gear
– Northampton Running Company for the donated gift certificates